In my years of being a Disney Park “fan”, I have learned that I’m lower on the fan scale than I thought. There are other fans that are Super-Duper-Duper fans (and shockingly – some of those people don’t even blog or host a podcast about Disney at all), and in processing that and all the parts involved with being a Disney Park fan in 2015, it reminded me of another group of people with a shared interest.
People that attend church. Specifically, people that attend Megachurches.
I mean, think about it.
Am I right?
So, without further ado, here are
10 Ways that Disney Parks are like Megachurches.
1. Everyone has a “testimony” of how visiting a Disney park for the first time changed their life,
2. Attendees pay to support the building projects, etc., even though they don’t want to,
3. There is singing. Lot’s of singing. Some dancing, but no snake handling,
4. They serve coffee. Lots of coffee,
5. Attendees wear all the tchotchkes (all of them) to be cool. People ask, “Hey, is that the new 2016 pendant/button/shirt with an embroidered meaningful emblem/iPhone cover, etc.? Oh wow, where do I get one of those?” :They smile on the outside, but jealously grumbling on the inside that they don’t have it already:
6. Even though attendees should be joyful (or dare I say happy) to be there, they: grumble, frown, cry, throw a fit (kids, too) and complain (“The music’s too loud”, “It’s too hot or too cold”, “I walked across two continents to get here”, etc.),
7. Attendees get tired of standing (or other physical activity) during their time there, and wish they could just stay seated for an extended period of time,
8. Attendees are around people they *should* like (because they all “love” the same things), but don’t,
9. Some attendees get there REALLY early to get a good seat (or a place to stand) and some people get there late and grumble about the place in the back where they can’t see everything that the “early birds” can see,
10. There are statues that represent revered people that attendees must spend time at (or take selfies),
Extra one just for you
11. There are different kinds of “believers”;
- Casual. They go to escape the harsh realities of life – and dare I say – have fun,
- Medium. They know (and remember) more about the history and stories than most and could give a fairly good explanation of the goings on to a newbie,
- Hardcore. They read everything (rumor or not) about all the goings on and get emotionally charged with everything done or not done based on “What the Patriarchs would do,” etc. You can spot these folks because when they are AT Disneyland, they are always on their Smartphone embroiled in some Facebook debate over something (like casting the “wrong” person for a live action version of a Disney animated “classic”), etc.
That’s why I think Disney Parks are like Megachurches, but what do you think?
I’ll bet I left some things out, but you can add them in the comments below, right?
Hi there you wonderful, awesome blog reader, you.
If you really, really, really like our blog I have a few requests (There teeny tiny. Don’t worry);
1. Share this awesome post to your online friends (See the nifty buttons below? Use them, won’t ya?)
2. Leave a comment or question below
3. Follow us on Twitter – @MenAreDumb
4. Like us on Facebook – htt://Facebook.com/MenareDumb1
5. Subscribe to our blog – via RSS